It’s pretty overwhelming and confusing to choose from a wide range of beautifully designed skateboards. For sure, you want the best skateboard, which is something lightweight and easy to carry around, most especially when doing skateboard tricks.
How do you strike a perfect balance between durability, a smooth ride, excellent stability, and good turn radius when skateboarding? It all boils down to choosing the best skateboard best suits your needs.
In this post, we have gathered the five top skateboards to help you make a smart buying decision. Let’s get started!
Comprehensive Review & Comparison of the Best Skateboards
■ Fast and durable wheels
■ Available in different designs and styles
■ Affordable and complete skateboard
■ Available in more than 20 designs
■ Very strong and durable deck
The Merkapa Complete Skateboard is a dazzling skateboard with a colorful deck and sparkling wheels. There are just too many things to say about this board from its deck to its small but vital components. First, the deck is 22 inches long and 6 inches wide and is made from very durable materials. The edge of this board is smooth and thus won’t be a hazard even if you slip or fall. The surface of the board has a waffle-style design, which helps you get a better grip on the surface. You are less likely to fall if you have a deck surface with an enhanced grip.
The wheels are 60 x 45 mm at 78A PU material and will light up as soon as you ride. No need to use batteries because of the light’s power as you ride. There’s no way to power off the wheel lights. Meanwhile, the trucks are 3.2 inches made from very durable, rugged, but lightweight aluminum. The wheels are fast because they are equipped with ABEC 7 bearings. These components create a comfortable ride because this comes with enhanced shock absorption.
The Merkapa LED skateboard is available in four fun designs and is ideal for beginners as well as professional skaters. It is certified safe by CE and is ideal for children and adults and has a weight capacity of 180 pounds.
- With LED wheels that require no batteries and no charging. It will light up as soon as you ride.
- This is a complete skateboard ideal for riding on the street, on a skate park, or on your driveway.
- It comes with a durable deck made from very strong materials. It measures 22 x 6 inches and is perfect for first-time users, kids, and adults alike.
- With a rugged yet lightweight truck, durable wheels, and fast bearings.
- Small and compact size, you can take it riding and carry it inside your bag.
- All components are genuine and with the highest quality.
- Will fit young and adult riders, beginners, and professionals.
- Available in 4 different styles/designs
- Deck size: 22 x 6 inches made of PP material
- Trucks: 3.2 inches aluminum trucks
- Wheels: 60 x 45 mm 78A PU wheels
- Bearings: ABEC 7
- LEDs in wheels with no batteries and no charging required
- With a waffle-style top/surface
- Fast and durable wheels
- Weight capacity: up to 180 pounds or 82 kg
- Weighs: less than 4.2 pounds
- With a durable board/deck and components
- Fast and efficient wheels and bearings
- Complete skateboard with strong and safe materials
- All genuine components
- Will fit adults and kids, beginners and pro
- With a colorful deck and wheels
- Wheels light up with no batteries and no charging
- Available in four wonderful designs and colors: Black Wheels Board, Triangle, Orange Block, and Sweet Pink.
- There’s no light switch
- Board is too small
The Retrospec Alameda is a complete skateboard that comes with top quality components and is made from sturdy materials. It has a large deck at 31 x 8 inches made from 7 sheets of Canadian Maple. It is designed to have the ideal amount of concaveness to give you the right kick for your tricks.
This skateboard also a 5.5-inch truck made from aluminum alloy with very durable carbon-steel kingpins. Aside from these, it has polyurethane bushings with the highest rebound designed to make the most out of your runs. When it comes to its simple yet tough wheels, you’ll find these fast and easy to roll. It has ABEC 7 chrome bearings equipped with rubber covers to prevent dust and dirt. This will keep the wheels rolling freely and fast. With this complete skateboard, you can push, kick, and coast. You can ride over different surfaces with ease and use this to commute or to do tricks as well. This is available in a variety of designs that will suit your style.
- This board is very strong and reliable at just the right size for beginners and also for professionals.
- It is made from very durable Canadian Maple and is designed with just the right shape for cruising and for tricks.
- It comes with very strong alloy trucks, carbon steel kingpins, and PU bushings to keep your skateboard tough and easy to use.
- With precise chrome bearings with a reliable dust and dirt cover for a smoother ride.
- You can use this on the road and on the skate park, and you’ll ride smoothly.
- This is available in different designs and styles.
- Board size: 31 x 8 inches, made of 7-ply Canadian Maple
- Trucks: 5.5 inches aluminum alloy, kingpins made of carbon steel
- Bushings: high-rebound 95A PU bushings
- Bearings: ABEC 7 chrome bearings; comes with dust covers
- Wheels: 52 x 32 mm PU wheels
- Available in different designs and styles
- Weight limit at 220 pounds
- Skateboard ideal for urban commuting and cruising
- Very durable skateboard decks and trucks
- Easy to clean wheels with rubber covers
- With a durable, strong grip tape to keep you safe as you ride
- With high-rebound wheels
- Comes completely assembled and ready to use
- Complaints that it’s hard to tighten the trucks
- Too thick for tricks
The Powell Golden Dragon is a complete skateboard ideal for beginners as well as advanced skateboarders. It has very durable, high-rebound polyurethane wheels that have been hand-casted that provide amazing roll and grip. You can ride on the street, make turns and move effortlessly with this complete board.
The top of the Powell Golden Dragon is extra-grippy and measures 7.6 inches wide with a length of 31.6 inches. This is enough room for a beginner rider or someone who’s just learning the ropes of riding a skateboard. The bottom of the board has a colorful sticker design. Very edgy and perfect for people who want a cool yet fun complete skateboard.
- This is an affordable and complete skateboard, ideal for beginners and advanced riders.
- With very durable, high-rebound, safe PU wheels.
- With a very rough and grippy top which will hold on to the soles of your sneakers for safety.
- Board is wide as it is long and is perfect for riding and cruising.
- Measurement: 31 x 7.6 inches, the design is Flying Dragon Red
- Concave shape: K12
- Wheelbase: 13.75 inches
- Nose: 7 inches
- Tail: 6.6 inches
- Screened bottom
- Board hardness: 99a
- PGD Super High-Rebound
- Weight: 0.32 ounces
- An affordable and complete skateboard
- Ideal for advanced users and beginners
- Very strong, high-rebound PU wheels ideal for grip and roll
- The top board is grippy and is safe to use
- Colorful, edgy yet fun bottom
- Good weight and size
- Complaints about the size
- Complaints that it’s too stiff
The Cal 7 is a complete skateboard with different striking designs. It comes in more than 20 stunning designs with the “Rosie the Riveter” and the “Valor” designs as the most popular. When it comes to the board, it is a 7.5 x 31 inches board made from 7-ply maple. This is a very durable material that’s also versatile on the road and on the skate park. The wheels are very strong and are 99A durometer PU. These wheels are ready to hit the road, whether you’re on the street or just on your driveway.
The Cal 7 promises a smooth and cool ride equipped with 3 mm riser pads and strong 95A bushings to reduce wheel bite and for easy and efficient carving. This is a complete board that’s good to go. It even has pre-applied tough grip tape so you can take off as soon as you open the box. And you get good value for your money as this comes with a one-year warranty.
- This complete skateboard has standard specs. With a strong maple deck and PU wheels.
- With very durable hardware with strong components. With aluminum trucks and ABEC 7 bearings.
- Smooth riding wheels with riser pads to avoid wheel bite.
- This complete skateboard is ready to go after you take it out of the box.
- With a generous one year warranty.
- Available in several cool and colorful designs.
- Measurement: 31 x 7.5 inches
- Deck: made from 7-ply maple wood
- Wheels: 52 x 31mm – 99A durometer PU wheels
- Trucks: 5 inches trucks made of aluminum alloy
- Bearings: ABEC 7 bearings
- Riser Pads: 3 mm
- Bushings: 95A
- With pre-applied tough grip tape
- Available in more than 20 designs
- Comes with a one-year warranty
- Very strong and solid deck
- Available in many colors and designs
- Offers a smooth and safe ride
- This is ready to go out of the box
- Design reduces wheel bite
- Only one year warranty
- Complaints that the wheels and board are too stiff
The CCS Skateboard Complete is a board that’s ready to ride right after you take it out of the box. It has a basic setup but uses only the best components. The deck is made from maple wood with a classic style ideal for performing different tricks or just for cruising around. The wheels are strong but grippy; the tricks are standard trucks with raw silver color and the bearings ABEC 7 rated, smooth, and made from top-quality materials. You can choose the deck width, but the length stays at 32 inches. On top is secure and rough black grip tape. All the components in this complete skateboard are CCS brand parts.
The CCS Skateboard is a starter board and comes ready to use. It is ideal for first-timers, for people who are working on different tricks and stunts and for people getting back to skating. CCS is the brand that’s been around since 1985 and is one of the most trusted.
- With standard-sized components made from high-quality materials, all from CCS.
- The deck is very strong, made from durable maple with a standard shape.
- The deck width may be personalized, but the length remains at 32 inches.
- This is a fully-assembled skateboard; it is ready to hit the road as soon as you take it home.
- This is ideal for a starter skateboard for first-time riders and for people returning to skateboarding.
- It is made by a very reliable company that’s around since 1988.
- Deck: 32 inches long, varying width depends on your preference
- Wheels: 52mm wheels, white in color
- Trucks: 139mm standard-sized trucks with raw silver color
- Bearings: smooth, high-quality ABEC 7 bearings
- Grip tape: black
- All components are CCS
- Weighs only 5.4 pounds
- Very strong and durable deck
- All CCS components are strong and tough
- The deck is the right size for cruising and performing tricks
- Very grippy grip tape to ensure your safety
- This is a good size and design board for first-time riders
- Problems with size
Complaints that the grip board is not good enough/not grippy enough
Buying Guide When Shopping Skateboard
Skateboarding is a fun and thrilling sport, but it can be dangerous if you don’t take it seriously. For this reason, it’s crucial to choose one of the best skateboards for beginners to help you face the challenges of the sport while you discover your riding style.
How do you choose a safe, durable, and reliable skateboard without breaking your bank? Continue reading this great in-depth guide when choosing the best skateboard for beginners to find out more.
How to Choose the Best Skateboard for Beginners?
Choose the Right Deck
The deck of a skateboard is the most important part you have to consider when choosing one. Decks provide maximum body support, grip, and a smooth ride.
Here are some tips when choosing the right deck:
- Plastic skateboards are the best for beginners. Such type of material will help you in your learning process. As you enhance your knowledge and skills with time, you would need a slimmer board because it has a better surface grip and more convenient to use.
- The average width of skateboard decks is eight inches, but there are also other varieties. A wider deck provides a better balance than slimmer decks but performing skateboard tricks is quite restricted.
Decks come in different materials, including carbon, fiberglass, and wood. While plastic decks are cheaper, you have to consider the quality if you want something that you can use for a longer time and enhance your skateboarding performance.
Choose the Right Size of the Deck for your Skateboard
As contrary to the popular belief, the deck’s width is more important than the length, ranging between 7.5 to 8.25 inches. The ideal width of your deck depends on your skating style, height, shoe size, and personal liking.
Here are the four sizes of the best skateboard for beginners in the market:
- It measures 7.5 inches or higher, which is best for all skaters aged 13 years and above with height taller than 5 feet 3 inches, and a 9 and above shoe size.
- It measures 7.3 inches, suitable for skaters aged 9 to 12 years old, who are between 4 feet 5 inches and 5 feet 2 inches tall with 7 to 8 shoe size.
- It measures 7.0 inches, which is recommended for skaters aged 6 to 8 years old, who are 3 feet 5 inches and 4 feet 4 inches tall, and with a shoe size of 4 to 6.
- It measures 6.5 to 6.75 inches, suitable for skaters aged 5 years old and below, under 3 feet inches tall with 3 or smaller shoe size.
You can read our top list of best skateboard decks here.
Check the Skateboard Bearings
You need awesome skateboard bearings so you can start rolling out. Skateboarders have significantly increased their speed with the introduction of ceramic balls. You need these little balls found inside the wheels so that the metal found outside can roll around the hinge smoothly without causing any metal damage.
Bearings are measured by an ABEC rating and each bearing class has a corresponding ranking. The rule of thumb is the higher the ABEC rating (1, 3, 5, 7, and 9), the higher the bearing quality when it comes to accuracy and precision. Keep in mind that the ABEC rating doesn’t identify load handling competence, quality of materials, noise, vibration, Rockwell harness, ball precision, and even lubricant.
ABEC 5 is generally the best choice of recreational skateboarders, giving you fast speed at an affordable price. The ABEC 7 rating is fast and smooth but a bit costly, while the ABEC 9 is the highest rating for extremely fast bearings, suitable for speed navigation and for downhill skating.
How to Care and Maintain Skateboards?
As a skater, it’s important to take good care and maintain your skateboard. Don’t just chuck it in a corner, or leave it outside because harsh elements, like sunlight, dew, and raccoons can damage it. Avoid warped decks, gumming up of bearings, softening of the wood, and raccoons riding on your skateboard by following these skateboard care and maintenance tips:
Don’t Leave Your Skateboard Outside
Never leave your skateboards outside because it can get wet, damaged, and even stolen. Keep them indoors, in a dry and cool place to avoid moisture buildup. Moisture is the number one culprit of wood decks and moisture can also accumulate in your skateboard bearings, affecting its performance.
In an arid place, dirt and dust can get onto your skateboard, and get into your bearings, too. Avoid leaving your skateboard under the sun because it will heat the black grip tape and the metal components, causing slight expansion and contraction as it gets cooler and faster wear and tears.
Take Care of Your Skateboard Bearings
The most precision piece of a skateboard is the bearings, so gummed up bearings will definitely ruin your ride.
Take Care of Your Skateboard Deck
As you use your skateboard, the skateboard tail will begin to wear thin. The edge of your skateboard deck will chip as you bail or crash, or just loosen your skateboard and shoot across the street. The trail and nose are vulnerable to chipping.
To manage bad chips, you can sand down splintered wood and round off any sharp edges. Don’t allow your tail to get so thin because it can hurt like a blade and may also cause board fracture. Clip any tears or rips in the grip tape so they don’t get bigger!
Replace Parts As Needed
Your skateboard will eventually wear out as you skate, and it is inevitable. A beautiful and shiny skateboard will eventually wear through frequent use. That’s the destiny of a skateboard. But as you enhance your skills, everything is worth it.
You probably spent a lot of time choosing the best skateboard for beginners, and now you’re facing issues. The components of your skateboard wear down as you ride it. You may notice your deck getting stress fractures or flat stops. Also, you probably have slammed your skateboard into the sidewalk so many times and ripped half the nose off. That’s why it’s important to replace damaged parts of your skateboard as needed.
How to Use or Ride a Skateboard Safely?
As a skateboard rider, you have to take safety precautions while you’re doing your stunts and tricks, like any other sports. You don’t want to get bruises, wounds, and fractures, because of missing this important aspect of skateboarding. Check the following skateboard safety tips for your reference:
Always Wear Helmet
Wearing a helmet shouldn’t be an option, most especially among children. Every aspiring or seasoned skater should wear a helmet regardless of age and level of expertise. Also, wearing wrist guards, elbow pads, and knee pads is a good idea for everyone, most especially for beginners. Protect your teeth from damage or breakage by wearing mouth guards too.
Make sure to choose a helmet that fits and you should know how to wear it correctly. Teach your child how to put it on. It must sit on top of your head in a level position. It shouldn’t rock side to side, forward, or backward. The helmet straps should be buckled, but make sure they’re not too tight.
Teach Your Children Skateboarding Safety Tips
Children aged 5 years old and below should not be allowed to ride a skateboard, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics or AAP. While this guideline might appear overly protective, a child’s judgment and balance are not fully developed yet, increasing the risk for injury.
Check out: The Best Skateboard for kids.
Here are some tips when buying a skateboard for children:
- Buy a skateboard that truly fits your child for easier learning and your child’s safety.
- Limit skateboarding to areas set aside in parks or bike paths. Children should only ride on a smooth and dry surface in a well-lit area that is away from traffic.
- Keep the streets in off-limits to avoid motor vehicle collisions.
- Teach your children how to reduce the impact of a fall. For instance, crouching down can help when they lose balance, reducing the distance traveled to the surface.
- Teaching your kids how to check skateboards for common problems before each use is a good idea. Remind them that if there are any loose, broken, or cracked parts, the skateboard shouldn’t be used until it has been repaired.
- Make sure that your children have the right skateboard gear.
Always Practice Safe Skateboarding
Practice your jumps and tricks in a controlled environment, like a skateboard park or anywhere you have easy access to medical care. Always screen the area or location where you’ll be riding holes, bumps, holes, glass, rocks, or other debris. Also, don’t ever hold on any moving vehicle while you’re riding a skateboard.
Here are the other safe skateboarding practices:
- Skateboard only on smooth pavement or areas away from traffic to avoid motor vehicle collisions or accidents.
- Don’t ride on the street.
- Never attempt to ride on a skateboard with another person.
- Keep your concentration on what you’re doing by not using headphones while skateboarding.
- Always keep your skateboard in its best condition by giving it a safety check before you ride.
- Don’t skate in crowds. Be considerate to others if you skate on sidewalks.
- In case of emergency, don’t panic. Contact 9-1-1 for emergency medical assistance.
Overall, the best skateboard is Merkapa 22″ Complete Skateboard that could hold your weight while you enjoy a smooth ride and perform your tricks. You can walk so fast and go to a large campus and parks cruising and riding this skateboard. It is durable and won’t rust because of its aluminum material. This skateboard is suitable for beginners, and children and adults can play and use it.