A surfer needs the best surf wax to keep up with the waves. The best wax provides great grip and enhances traction so your feet remain on the surfboard at all times. Surf wax prevents slipping as you paddle out to reach the waves. Using the right wax is crucial to your success as a surfer so it pays a lot to take time to find the best brand.
The Top 5 Surf Wax in 2021
The following are highly rated and recommended best surf wax products in the world. We know you’ll find the one that works best for your needs from our list.
Star Rating: 4.8 out of 5
Best Tropical Water Surfboard Wax from Sticky Bumps
- This surfboard wax is for warm tropical waters above 20 degrees Celsius.
- This is one of the most popular and most trusted surf wax brands.
- This wax smells so good.
- Dimensions: 8 x 9 x 10 inches, 1 pound for 6 bars of wax
- Available Kinds: Warm tropical wax
- Material: made from biodegradable materials
- Special Features: Comes with a great scent, packed in environmentally-friendly packaging, biodegrades when washed away, green product
Sticky Bumps is the most popular brand of surf wax online and offline. This is available in many varieties depending on the water temperature. Sticky Bumps in warm are featured in this review which has a refreshing blueberry scent.
Sticky Bumps has an all-natural, non-toxic formula and is made from biodegradable ingredients. For the best performance, you should use Sticky Bumps basecoat wax with this warm wax. Follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer to guarantee the best results.
And because you need bars of wax to cover a surfboard top, this is a set of 6 Sticky Bumps warm wax. You’ll get more value for your money with this purchase.
- Provides the best coverage for warm waters.
- Comes with a delightful blueberry scent.
- This wax has an all-natural formula, biodegradable and non-toxic.
- You’ll get more value for your money with 6 bars of wax with one purchase.
- Complaints that it does not last long.
Star Rating: 4.7 out of 5
Best Cold Water Scented Surf Wax from M. Zogs
- This surf wax is best as a base or top board coat.
- It is not just for surfing. You can also use this to wax drums or when playing hockey.
- This product can be stored for years; it will never spoil.
- Dimensions: 2.8 x 2.6 x 1.1 inches, 0.64 ounces
- Available Kinds: for different water temperatures – cool, cold, warm, and tropical waters
- Material: safe and high-quality materials
- Special Features: Available in different scents – grape, coconut, pineapple, and strawberry, available in mixed scents, for base or topcoat application, smooth and consistent texture.
Keep surfing even in cold waters with the Mr. Zogs Original Sex Wax in cold water variety. Mr. Zogs is one of the most popular American brands of surf wax and has continued to be a recommended wax brand.
Mr. Zogs produce consistent quality waxes that you can also use as hockey wax. It is easy to apply so it makes a great basecoat wax. You don’t have to sweat it out when applying this wax as it works smoothly. You will also love its four different scents including Grape, Pineapple, Coconut, and Strawberry. You can buy a set of Mr. Zogs Sexwax in different scents or you can go with just one type of wax
- This wax applies smoothly to the surface of the board.
- This can be used as a basecoat as it applies easily and may be tweaked accordingly.
- This wax is available in four scents and for different water temperatures.
- Complaints about the scent; consumers prefer the unscented surf wax.
- Complaints that this wax does not last long compared to other surf wax.
Star Rating: 4.8 out of 5
Best Surf Wax in Different Water Temperatures from Matuna’s
- Made from biodegradable and non-toxic ingredients.
- This wax is very easy to apply and thus you’ll spend less time preparing your board.
- This wax is available for different water conditions: warm, cool, cold, and tropical.
- Available Kinds: for different water temperatures – cool, cold, warm, and tropical, comes in base coat wax
- Material: biodegradable, non-toxic, petroleum and synthetic-free, local ingredients
- Special Features: ecologically-friendly waxes, will work for all types of boards, can be applied easily and in less time.
The Matuna’s eco-surf wax is a completely biodegradable surf wax that won’t be toxic to corals, fishes, and other sea creatures. It was manufactured from organic and petroleum-free ingredients.
This surf wax is all-natural and even the product packaging is also made from recycled materials. No negative impact on our environment. Matuna’s surfboard wax is available in warm, cool, cold, and tropical waxes. And because this is easy to apply, you can spend more time learning how to surf than wondering about surfboard wax,
- This wax is available for all water temperatures.
- Made from biodegradable, safe, and effective materials.
- This is easy to apply on your surfboard or hockey stick
- Many don’t like the scent.
Star Rating: 4.9 out of 5
Best Tropical Surf Wax from MRS. PALMERS
- This surf wax is ultra-sticky.
- This is one of the most popular surf waxes available.
- This wax has an extended formula so you don’t have to re-apply every time you come out of the water.
- Dimensions: 6.81 x 3.5 x 1.18 inches, 4.8 ounces
- Available Kinds: tropical waters surf wax
- Material: special sticky formula
- Special Features: very sticky, can be used for a longer time in the water, offers maximum traction, Traction 3000 additive
One of the classic surf wax products available is Mrs. Palmers Surf with wax and tropical waters. This surf wax comes with Traction 3000, an additive that enhances stick but won’t easily wear away even when you’re out in the water too long. You can feel that this wax is very sticky but not too much to hold you down.
Mrs. Palmer’s surf wax comes in 70-gram bars which are larger than other circular waxes. You can order one or buy four or more especially if you have a large or longboard to wax. This tropical water surf wax is best for waters 75 degrees or higher.
- This surf wax offers the best traction using its traction additive.
- It is slick but not too slippery that can knock you off your board.
- This wax won’t wear off in the water.
- Complaints that it’s too slick.
Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Best High Performance, Natural Surf Wax from EHOMEA2Z
- This wax comes with a cool grapefruit scent.
- This is a long-lasting wax ideal for cold and cool waters.
- Offers great traction and grip.
- Dimensions: 3.5 x 3 x 2 inches, 11.22 ounces
- Available Kinds: available for different waters- cold, cool, warm, and tropical, available in different flavors – grapefruit, mango, orange
- Material: made from biodegradable and all-natural materials
- Special Features: non-toxic, long-lasting, best traction
The EHOMEA2Z Surf Wax for cool and cold and cold water temperatures. This is all-natural wax that will never pollute or cause harm to ocean waters. It is non-toxic and biodegradable because of its natural formula.
This cool cold wax has a longer-lasting effect and will get your board ready for cool to chilly ocean waters. You’ll have the proper wax in the right temperatures which is sometimes hard to do. When you’re in cold water, you must have a softer wax so you’ll have good traction and enhanced grip.
This surf wax brand will give you the best grip for 69-degree Celsius waters or below. You will love its grapefruit scents which smell amazing when you put it on or when you use your board in the water. You can use this surf wax on your surfboard or skimboard.
EHOMEA2Z gives you more value for your money. It comes in a set of three bars for longer-lasting use at a price that you can afford.
- This wax saves you money as it works for cool and cold water temperatures.
- This high-performance wax that’s very sticky so it won’t scrape off when you’re in the water.
- It is for surfboards and skimboards.
- It comes with a refreshing grapefruit scent.
- This wax has a biodegradable and non-toxic formula; all-natural and won’t pollute water.
- Complaints that it’s too slick.
- Complaints that it’s too hard to put on.
Are you new to buying surf wax or you’re looking for a better, more efficient brand? Remember the following factors that can affect the way you choose the best surf wax.
The different types of waxes
There are several types of surfboard waxes: base coat waxes, topcoat waxes, sticky waxes, traditional formulas, and many more. Let’s check each one and how these are used. Take note that to provide the best coverage, you must apply two layers of waxes on your board. The first layer is the base coat and the other one is the topcoat.
- Basecoat – the basecoat is the initial layer of wax that you need to apply to your board. The basecoat has a tough texture that’s mostly recommended for warmer or tropical waters.
The basecoat will hold the top coat plus, it will make your board ready for the surf. The basecoat is applied generously with bumps and lumps of wax all over the board’s surface. The bumps on the board will help you maintain your balance. The basecoat mostly lasts longer than the topcoat but is a challenge to apply and remove.
- Topcoat – the topcoat is applied over the basecoat. Use gentle pressure when applying this layer. Use a circular motion all over the surface of your board. As you apply the top coat, you’ll see that you’re making the lumpy basecoat more pronounced.
Use only a fine layer of top coat wax. After application, you’re ready to hit the waves. Never apply too much wax as it will only make it harder to move in the water.
- Sticky waxes – this type of wax is stickier and thus, you won’t have to spend a lot of time applying the product on your board. While traditional waxes should be applied all over the surfboard, sticky waxes should be applied only on the areas where your feet will stand. If you apply too much sticky surf wax, you may end up with a board that’s very hard to maneuver.
- Traditional waxes – a traditional type of surf wax is very common and it’s the term used for everyday topcoat and basecoat waxes. Traditional waxes take time to apply as you need to work hard to make the board sticky. Read instructions carefully before you use traditional waxes.
- Take note of surf wax temperatures
Surf waxes come in different types according to the water temperature. So, take note of the temperature of the water that you’ll be surfing in before you purchase surf wax.
- Cold wax – for water temperatures 0 to 12 degrees Celsius
- Cool wax – for water temperatures 11 to 20 degrees Celsius
- Warm wax – for water temperatures 16 to 25 degrees Celsius
- Tropical wax – for water temperatures 23 to 30 degrees Celsius
If you surf in tropical waters, a higher-temperature wax is needed. For cooler waters, cool or cold water waxes are recommended.
- Tropical wax – this type of wax is for waters that are 75 degrees Fahrenheit or higher. This wax provides the best grip and traction and can withstand warmer temperatures. Tropical wax won’t melt even when the water temperature becomes very hot and even when exposed to the sun’s hot rays. Tropical waxes are harder than most types of waxes and are even harder to remove.
- Warm wax – this kind of wax is for water temperatures from 58 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit. This type of wax is not as hard as tropical waxes and thus, is less resistant to hot water and weather. Always check the manufacturer’s instructions on how to use warm wax.
- Cool wax – this kind of wax is recommended for 58 to 68 degrees and works great in maintaining proper grip and board traction when you’re surfing in cooler waters. However, cool wax won’t hold well when you’re using it in warmer waters.
- Cold wax – cold waxes is for riders who wish to surf in 60-degree Fahrenheit waters and below. This type of wax is designed to provide the best grip even when water temperatures start to plummet. Cold wax should be stored carefully to avoid melting. You should only use cold wax in chilly or near-freezing waters as it won’t be able to hold hot temperatures.
Almost all surf wax manufacturers offer all these options so you don’t need to switch from brand to brand just to find the right wax temperature.
Using a wax comb
Choosing the right surf wax is one thing and using the right comb is another. Wax combs are used to maintain your surfboard and to remove hard wax. The type of comb used for these tasks is one with a jagged edge which helps remove old wax and apply a new coat of base or top coat wax. Invest in a quality, durable, and easy-to-use surf comb.
Application of surf wax
Remember that if you don’t place enough wax on your surfboard, you may find it very hard to use it in the water. If you’re a beginner, never enter the water without first applying the correct amounts of wax to your board.
Meanwhile, placing too much wax is also a no-no. Your board will just be too slippery to stay on and you’ll only waste precious surf wax. Also, your surfboard will only be too messy to clean.
Applying light surfboard wax must be done every time you’re surfing. You don’t have to clean your surfboard each time you’re out of the water if you apply the basecoat correctly. But if you feel that you’re losing traction or grip, re-apply your ax.
Removing surf wax
If you think that you’re losing grip, it’s time to remove the old wax and reapply for a new coat before your next session. There are many techniques recommended by pros. Some advice covering the board with sand and leaving it a few minutes and then wipe the wax and sand out.
You can also manually remove sand using a comb or an old credit card or cardboard. Apply heat using a heat gun and carefully remove the old wax. Make sure that you remove a lot of the wax and leave the board as clean as you can. Any residue, dirt, or old wax left on top can affect the way you apply new wax.
The following are the most frequently asked questions and their corresponding answers when it comes to buying and using a surf wax product.
How much wax does my surfboard need?
If you have a longboard, 3 bars of surfboard wax are needed to cover this large board. You need at least one bar for the base coat and two bars for the topcoat. You need a lot of wax for the basecoat to make large swirls and bumps.
How to remove old wax safely from your surfboard?
You can remove old wax by placing the board under the sun to soften the wax. You may also use a heat gun or a hairdryer to remove the old glue. Old wax may also be removed by using a wax comb. You can also use a wax remover product; follow the instructions on the packaging before use.
Do you need wax to surf?
You can surf without wax but it would be very difficult to ride an unwaxed surfboard. Surf wax provides grip and the right traction so you won’t slide off the board.
Do you wax the bottom of your surfboard?
Most people say that you don’t need to wax the bottom of the board as you only stand on the top part of the board. The bottom part of the board should be smooth to allow the board to glide effortlessly in the water.
Is there an alternative to surf wax?
There are some alternatives to using surf wax. A board trackpad will let you balance on your board and ensure a good grip. Another good alternative is cork traction pads similar to a full-board trackpad. You can also use sticky grip pads specially made for surfboards.
How do you remove surf wax?
Surf wax is removed by first letting the board remain under the sun to let the wax melt a bit. Once the wax is loose, use a wax comb to scrape it off. Some surfers use a hairdryer to melt the wax as the basecoat is very hard to remove. Once all the wax is removed, you may now add a new basecoat layer and topcoat layer.
From our list of the top 5 best surf wax brands, we recommend two of the most highly-rated waxes: Sticky Bumps and Mr. Zogs Sexwax. These two brands are trusted by more consumers because of their great grip, strong traction, and biodegradability.
Sticky Bumps are available in many varieties according to the water temperature. Sticky Bumps warm has a refreshing blueberry scent and a non-toxic formula. It is all-natural and made from biodegradable ingredients. This is available in 6 bars so you’ll get more value for your money.
Meanwhile, Mr. Zogs Original Sex Wax in cold water is also one of the most popular American brands and has received a lot of recommendations from surfers and other water sports enthusiasts. Mr. Zogs has a consistent formula and is easy to apply making it a good basecoat wax. This is available in four different scents: Grape, Pineapple, Coconut, and Strawberry.
Whether you’re new to using surf wax or you’re a waxing pro, we strongly suggest these two brands. Sticky Bumps and Mr. Zogs will provide great coverage, grip, and traction so you can stay in all kinds of water longer and safer.