If you’re thinking of a worthwhile gift for your child or a teen, then why not give the best skateboard for kids as a present? As adult riders need the best boards, kids also require well-designed, safe, and durable boards. Check out our top best skateboards for beginners kids that will surely be perfect for your little one.
Comprehensive Review & Comparison of the Best Skateboard for Kids
■ Easy to use
■ Colorful deck and wheels
■ Made from durable fresh material
■ Portable and very durable design
■ High quality component
The Skatro Mini Cruiser boards are one of the most colorful skateboards for kids. It has the shape, size, and material of a penny board, but it’s versatile, like a skateboard. It has colorful decks and wheels available in ten different colors and color combinations to choose from. At the moment, parents and kids prefer the lovely Picasso with a surreal swirl of colors on the deck and multiple colored clear urethane wheels.
The Skatro is more than looks as it is a high-performance skateboard. The wheels are 59mm Skatro wheels while the bearings are high-quality ABEC 7 Skatro bearings. These wheels are perfect for any terrain and are waterproof, dust-proof, and shockproof. The wheels are connected to heavy-duty but lightweight 3-inch trucks made from very durable aluminum.
Skatro boards are created using a unique manufacturing technique to make the boards more durable with the optimum flex. Those who have tried Skatro say that this skateboard for kids can out-perform other skateboards of the same size at the best price.
This type of skateboard is ideal for commuting anywhere, and the board is light enough to carry anywhere as well. And your purchase comes with a helpful T-tool. Take note that the tool’s grip/handle matches the board as well. With this tool, you can maintain your skateboard more efficiently every after use.
- Comes with top quality components: Skatro ABEC 7 bearings 59mm wheels and 3-inch aluminum trucks, all from Skatro.
- This board was made using proprietary Skatro Flexy Tech. this will make sure that all Skatro skateboards are flexible and perfect for all riders.
- Ideal for commuting and cruising on streets and urban areas. You can take it on a bus, train, plane or subway.
- Available in ten different colors and color combinations.
- With the T-tool (this is a $10 value).
- Weight: 4 pounds
- Bearings: ABEC 7 Skatro brand bearings
- Wheels: 59mm urethane Skatro brand wheels
- Trucks: 3-inch aluminum trucks
- Skatro Flexy Technology
- Waffle-style tread
- With T-Tool
- Available in ten different colors and color combinations
- Very colorful and looks fun for kids and beginners
- Easy to use
- With fun colors to choose from
- Well-built with quality materials
- Very strong wheels, deck, and trucks
- Ideal for commuting and cruising
- Comes with a $10-value T-tool
- Versatile and flexible skateboard for kids
- Too small for tricks
- Complaints that the wheels are too soft
The Meketec complete skateboard is a good first-timer skateboard and also a complete kid’s skateboard. It is available in more than twenty different colors and color combinations, with some designs having opaque wheels and some transparent urethane wheels.
This skateboard has all the best components for safe, efficient, and easy riding for kids. It has 3.25-inch trucks and is available in different colors depending on the wheel and deck color. The board is 22.5 x 6 inches that easily fits small riders. You can load as much as 200 pounds as it has strong trucks and 45 PU wheels with quick ABEC 7 bearings.
The Meketec skateboard is ideal for beginner riders and learners. It is known to outperform other skateboards of its size and specifications. It is ideal for commuting and cruising as you can take it to the park, to school, and when commuting on a bus, train, or subway.
- These are skateboards available in different colors and color combinations
- With trucks with different colors.
- With a very durable, a maximum weight of 200 pounds.
- It comes with durable 45 PU wheels that are smooth, freely-rolling.
- With very tough and freely-moving ABEC 7 bearings.
- This is a high-quality skateboard that you can use at school, park, and road with complete ease and control.
- This is certified safe to use for kids and beginner riders
- Measurements: 22.5 x 6 inches
- Weight: 3.79 pounds
- Deck: high-quality PP
- Weight capacity: 200 pounds
- Trucks: 3.25 inches, aluminum V-truck, and base
- Wheels: 60mm x 45 PU wheels, clear urethane wheels
- Bearings: ABEC 7 high-speed bearings
- CE certified for safety
- Colorful deck and wheels
- Very sturdy trucks and wheels
- The deck is strong, made from very tough materials
- Ideal for beginners and kids
- Made to be fast and high-performing
- Can be used on the road, in school or at the park
- Certified safe to use
- Available in different fun colors
- Too small to ride
- Wheels are not as durable
The Rimable plastic skateboard is a cruiser skateboard that comes completely assembled. This measures 22 x 6 inches and has a deck with hard plastic material, non-recycled. The trucks are 3″ and are made from very strong aluminum, which can stand the rigors of everyday use and play.
This skateboard for kids comes with very smooth, freely-rolling PU wheels that come with high-speeds, quality bearings. It is a durable board as it can take as much as 198 pounds.
The Rimable plastic skateboard is available in five different colors: black and green, Galaxy, Redflower, Red, and Blue, and Yellowleaf designs. It is made for beginners as the surface has the waffle-design, which is more than just for aesthetic reasons. This helps you grip the surface of the board better so you can be safer as you ride this board.
Finally, Rimable plastic skateboard is just 3.9 pounds, which is very light. This makes it easier to carry anywhere you need to go. You can ride the streets and still commute with this lightweight skateboard.
- This is a mini-cruiser skateboard with a classic design. This is ideal for beginners and kids.
- With a 22-inch board that’s available in different designs and colors.
- You can ride this in the streets, skate parks and in schools. You can wear sneakers or even ride this barefoot.
- With very strong 3-inch aluminum trucks; very durable and can take very heavyweights.
- The deck comes with a traditional shape and dimensions made from fresh material.
- Wheels are made from extra-durable PU material with smooth bearings.
- Lightweight weighs only 3.9 pounds.
- Available in five different fun colors and designs
- Very durable with a maximum weight of 198 pounds.
- Plastic cruiser skateboard
- Arrives fully assembled
- Measures 22 x 6 inches, wider deck
- Deck made from fresh material
- Trucks: 3″ aluminum trucks
- Wheels: PU material, high-speed bearings
- Maximum weight: 198 pounds
- Weight: 3.9 pounds
- Easy to use classic cruiser board
- With an attractive pattern/print
- Standard size and shape board
- Made from durable fresh material
- Very tough board with waffle-style surface
- Can be used on the road and in skate parks
- You can use sneakers or go barefoot
- With smooth PU wheels with fast bearings
- With soft wheels
- Bearings not as good
- Very stiff to use
The RudeBoyz 17-inch wooden mini cruiser is a skateboard for kids. It is ideal for kids ages three to five years and can accommodate up to 121 pounds. This is a very small board and is only suitable for children that are starting to ride.
This mini board is portable and durable, made from genuine wood. It is lightweight and is easy to take anywhere you need to go. Your child can also keep this under his bed or inside his closet. At the back is a fun decal made especially for RudeBoyz.
The trucks are 6″; wheels are standard 54″ with ABEC 7 bearings. The deck is 17 x 5 x 3.5 inches, which are ideal for new riders or first-time users. You’ll get better control and improved balance with this cruiser skateboard.
- Portable and very durable deck and components.
- This is a lightweight board at only 7.5 pounds and thus may be easily transported anywhere.
- The deck is made from real wood and thus is tough and lightweight.
- This is shipped fully assembled, so you’re ready to roll as soon as you take it out of the box.
- Available in fun designs that are designed especially by RudeBoyz and also for OC Girl.
- With a “banana” shape, with a wider deck for newbie users
- It comes with a concave shape, rounded-kick tail and tapered shape for improved performance.
- It provides better control and balance as you maneuver the board on the street and on any surface.
- Dimensions: 17 x 5 x 3.5 inches
- Weight: 7.5 pounds
- Made from genuine wood
- Ready to use out of the box
- Designs from RudeBoyz and OC Girl
- Trucks: 6 inches
- Wheels: 54mm
- Bearings: ABEC 7
- Truck axle width: 6 inches
- Truck hanger width: 3 inches
- With a concave and tapered shape
- Portable and very durable design
- Banana shape for better performance
- Weighs only 7.5 pounds, so it’s easy to take anywhere
- Comes ready to use
- High-quality components
- Made from durable materials
- Ideal for kids and first-time users
- Tapered shape enhances control and rider’s balance
- Very small
- Not as durable
The PlayWheels Spider-Man wooden cruiser skateboard is a 21-inch complete skateboard that’s made for kids. The deck is made from 9-ply maple wood, and thus, this is very durable. It comes with a kicktail design with enhanced control and improved brakes. It offers a smoother ride with its PVC 50mm x 27mm wheels and very durable nylon bearings. This has composite trucks with a steel axle for enhanced weight and quicker speeds. This is recommended only for kids ages 5 to 10 years and can support weights of up to 100 pounds only.
- This is a complete skateboard set with a 21-inch long deck.
- The deck is thick and durable, made from a nine-ply layer of maple.
- With a kick-tail design that enhances control plus helps you brake safely and efficiently.
- It gives you a smoother ride because of its PVC-injected wheels. These wheels come with nylon bearings that last longer.
- With composite tracks and a steel axle to efficiently support heavier weights and faster speeds.
- This skateboard for kids comes with their favorite superhero figure.
- This is a skateboard designed for kids ages 5 to 10 and for weights up to 100 pounds.
- No assembly needed
- Load capacity: 100 lbs.
- Deck: 21-inch deck, made of 9-ply maple wood
- Wheels: 50 x 27mm PVC wheels
- Bearings: nylon bearings
- Trucks: composite
- With a special grippy deck surface
- For ages 5 to 10 years old
- Weight: 3 pounds
- With your child’s favorite superhero character
- With a durable 9-ply maple deck
- With high quality component
- Very grippy surface for safety
- The size of the board makes it easy to practice riding
- Ideal for young children
- Can take only 100 pounds
- Not as durable
- Spider-Man’s image is a sticker
- Not so durable wheels
Best Skateboards for Kids Buying Guide and FAQ
Just as adult skateboards and longboards come in varying designs, materials, and features, kids’ skateboards also come with different features. It’s important to understand these features before you purchase any kid’s skateboard online or from a local store. Here are some tips to make shopping easier.
What to look for when buying skateboards for kids?
Remember the following when looking for the best skateboards for kids:
The board material is very important
The most important thing to check out in a skateboard for adults and for kids is the board or deck. The kind of material the deck is made of also seals the deal. The material should be durable, must withstand wear and tear, and should be versatile to accommodate the rider’s weight.
Most beginner boards are made from maple wood sheets at around six to nine ply maple wood sheets. Some manufacturers add another durable material: bamboo. The two wooden materials ensure that the deck is tough, will stand regular wear and tear, and won’t easily bend or break. Other decks are made of plastic, especially lighter, beginner boards. Plastic is lighter but not as durable as wooden boards.
The board/ deck size matters
The skateboard deck is usually smaller but wider for kids, so it’s easier to stand and balance from. Although the size and shape look cumbersome for adults, this is the design that’s right for kids so they can stay safe and secure as they learn how to balance and ride.
Penny boards may also be considered kids skateboards because of their size. However, this is not as wide as regular kids’ boards but is very lightweight, easy to handle even by inexperienced people.
Consider all the skateboard components
Beginner skateboards don’t need to have the top of the line components like wheels, trucks, bearings, and deck but these must have high quality and good materials because your child should be safe as he learns how to skate well.
Durable and fast wheels and bearings
The wheels are usually made from plastic urethane and are not as stiff but have a better grip on the road. With proper bearings, these wheels can get a good grip on the road; this may not be as fast but will keep a child safe and secure as he uses the board.
Grippy top surface
The top of a regular skateboard is made from very durable, grippy grip tape. This tape can grip your footwear and keeps the rider safer, especially on the road.
Wooden boards can carry more weight. Usually, plastic boards and other composite boards have lighter capacities. This is important if your child is larger or older; consider the maximum weight capacity of the board you want to purchase.
How large and how heavy
Aside from the weight capacity of a board, the size, and its actual weight matter. This is important if your child plans to take this board to school. A board that’s lighter and smaller is easier to take anywhere and to commute with.
Age of the child
And aside from the capacity of the board, some specifically state the age of the child that the board was made for. Usually, beginner boards are for kids ages 5 to 10, but heavier children may ride using an adult-sized board.
How do you buy a skateboard for a kid?
To buy a child, his first skateboard, consider first his size and age. Kids’ skateboards are categorized by size and weight. Skateboards for young children have a 100 pounds capacity and are only for kids ages 5 to 8 or 10. Skateboards for teens are larger, looking more like adult skateboard models.
Other factors to consider are quality components and fixtures, a sturdy yet flexible deck, strong wheels, and fast bearings. Consider a complete board, or you may want to buy individual components and assemble your own board for a child.
How much do you need to spend on a child’s first skateboard?
There are affordable, yet durable skateboards for kids. You don’t need to spend too much on a board that he will only use in just a few months or years. Once a child gets the hang of using a kid’s skateboard, he may want to ride an adult board, and thus, you can save your money and buy a cheap but sturdy board instead of an expensive, fancy kids’ skateboard.
What are the best qualities of a good kids’ skateboard?
The correct skateboard for a child must be appropriate for his size and weight. The board must be made from very durable and flexible materials to ensure that it will last many uses. It must be safe and secure, starting from a sturdy deck, grippy deck surface, safe and smooth wheels, and durable bearings. A good board has a warranty or guarantee, which is mostly found in high-end, costly skateboards for kids.
Based on our review of the five best skateboards for kids, we have selected the Skatro Mini Cruiser board as the best kids board, and we have a lot of reasons why. The Skatro is our choice because of its large variety of cool and fun colors. It may have the shape, size, and material of a penny board, but it’s perfect for a kid who’s starting to use a skateboard.
Another reason why Skatro is the best is because of its top-quality components. The wheels and bearings are Skatro and are perfect for any terrain and are waterproof, dust-proof, and shockproof. Meanwhile, the trucks are very tough, and this is because it’s made from very durable aluminum.
Skatro uses a unique manufacturing technique to make the boards more durable. Those who have tried Skatro say that this skateboard can out-perform other skateboards for kids with the best price. This skateboard is ideal for commuting, too, and is light enough to carry anywhere as well. We recommend the Skatro Mini Cruiser board as the best kids’ skateboard because of its many amazing features. And if you think that the Skatro Mini Cruiser is also a good choice as a skateboard for kids, check it out from this link.