Penny boards are ideal for commuting. Its lightweight feature makes it better than skateboards. So, are you ready to move from a skateboard and try a penny board? Here are five of the top penny boards in the market today!
Reviews of the Best Penny Board
The Skatro Mini Cruiser Skateboard is a handy 22 x 6-inch plastic board that arrives ready to use out of the box. It is available in 11 different colors and color combinations with ABEC -7 Skatro bearings. The wheels are high quality 59mm Skatro urethane wheels. The trucks are very small at 3 inches made of very light yet strong aluminum material.
What’s unique about the Skatro Mini Cruiser is it was designed with the Skatro Flexy Technology, which is a proprietary process that makes sure that the board is flexible and versatile, especially when subjected to various demands of road and skate park surfaces. Manufacturers of this penny board say that their boards can outperform other leading penny board brands but remains affordable. Skatro continues to be a good investment for first-time skateboard or penny board users.
You can take the Skatro Mini Cruiser anywhere because of its compact size. You can move through the city streets and take it on a bus, train, subway or plane. Your purchase comes with a T-tool, a color-matching tool you need to tighten the nuts on the penny board. The board’s surface comes with a waffle-style tread, so you’ll get a consistent strong grip.
- With high-performance bearings, wheels, and trucks.
- Made with the Skatro Flexy Technology.
- Very flexible board to deal with the demands of any terrain.
- Lightweight at only four pounds.
- With a waffle-style surface for an easy grip.
- With a T-tool, so you can make adjustments to your board anytime.
- Skatro ABEC 7 bearings
- Bearings made from bearing steel metal
- Skatro 59mm urethane wheels
- Aluminum trucks at 3 inches
- Skatro Flexy Technology
- Deck measures 5 x 22 inches
- With waffle-style tread
- Weighs 4 pounds
- Very light and easy to carry anywhere.
- With a strong and versatile deck.
- With a durable truck and wheels.
- Fast-moving wheels because of quality bearings.
- With a good grip thanks to its well-designed deck.
- Available in different colors.
- Ideal for city cruising, commuting and for easy tricks
- The deck is too small for stunts
- Can take time to get used to
- Not for people with very large feet
The Penny Australia Cruiser is a small yet convenient 22” penny board. It is an authentic penny board that is unbelievably strong despite being lightweight. The deck was made from a secret blend of quality materials, making it stronger but more flexible than other penny boards.
The wheels are top-quality 59mm 83A wheels, which are among the smoothest and the most comfortable rides. With these wheels and this light board, you can move through different terrains, whether you want to ride on the road or on the skate park.
The Penny Australia Cruiser comes with high quality ABEC 7, color-coded, stainless-steel bearings. This type of bearings is fast to make your wheels move faster and more efficiently. Finally, this penny board comes with a generous lifetime manufacturer’s warranty, which gives you more value for your money.
- This is an authentic Penny Australia Cruiser.
- The deck is very durable owing to the manufacturer’s secret formula.
- The deck is very flexible yet strong.
- You’ll get a smooth ride from its top-quality 59mm 83A strong wheels.
- Wheels turn fast yet safe with the color-coded stainless-steel ABEC 7 bearings.
- You’ll get more value for your money with Penny Australia’s lifetime manufacturer’s warranty.
- Available in three different designs with Homer Simpson being the most popular.
- The Simpsons Series penny board
- The deck is made from strong and versatile plastic material
- 59mm wheels 83A
- Color-coded ABEC 7 stainless –steel bearings
- With a waffle-style deck surface
- Board is 22-inch
- Weighs only 4.3 pounds
- With a lifetime manufacturer’s warranty
- With an authentic The Simpson’s design
- Made of very light plastic
- Very strong and very durable deck
- With a smooth ride thanks to its durable bearings
- With a generous lifetime warranty
- Complaints that the bearings could be better
- Not so easy to get used to
The Boss Board is a vintage penny board that’s 22” long. It is a minimalistic type of penny board with just a stark white deck and black wheels. You’ll enjoy some yellow bushings on each truck, but that’s the only color you’ll have with this board. Aside from its simple design, it gives more when it comes to street and skate park performance.
The Boss Board penny board is portable and ideal for beginners and pros alike. It has a waffle-style surface, so you’ll get a good grip. The wheels are very smooth, with a 59-mm standard diameter. Also, the wheels move smoothly and freely thanks to its strong ABEC 7 bearings. You can move through any road, grip the pavement well, and stay safe during turns and corners thanks to its safe and durable wheel assembly.
The trucks are made from solid aluminum; therefore, you can use this for any terrain. It’s a small board but can carry heavy weights thanks to its very strong trucks. The Boss Board is very smooth and easy to carry anywhere. It weighs just 4 pounds, and with its compact design, you can carry it as you commute on a bus, train, subway, or plane. And to give you more value for your purchase, this board is covered by a full lifetime warranty.
- Very compact and easy to carry penny board.
- Comes ready to ride out of the box.
- With a minimalistic style and design.
- With high-quality construction, a high-density deck made from quality plastic.
- Very durable wheels and ABEC 7-rated bearings.
- With strong trucks.
- Very lightweight at 4 pounds.
- It comes with a full lifetime warranty.
- Wheels at 59mm
- Bearings with ABEC 7 rating
- Aluminum trucks
- Plastic deck
- Measures 22 x 6 inches
- Weighs 4 pounds
- With a full lifetime warranty
- Available in different colors and color combinations
- With a compact and easy to carry design.
- This penny board comes assembled
- Combines exercise and fun
- With a minimalistic design
- Available in fun colors too
- Durable and quality components
- Fast and smooth wheels and bearings
- Weighs only 4 pounds, so it’s easy to take anywhere
- With a generous lifetime warranty
- Complaints that it’s too small and too thin
- Complaints that you need to adjust this regularly
Magneto is known for its skateboards and longboards, but their penny boards are also cool. This is the Mini Cruiser made from Canadian Maple. Yes, it’s not plastic; therefore, it will perform differently than other penny boards.
The Mini Cruiser is larger than other regular penny boards. It measures 27.5 x 7.5 inches with a wheelbase of 18.5 inches. Being longer and wider, it has double-kick tails so you can have more fun doing stunts and tricks. The deck is larger to accommodate people who are larger and have larger feet. It is also more versatile as you can use it to perform tricks and to move through different terrain with ease.
On the surface, instead of the regular waffle-style surface, you’ll get a sand-grit finish. This offers a better grip to keep you safer and, of course, to show off the lovely maple deck top. The design is a Heartbeat with the official Magneto logo in the middle. This penny board is also available in other designs like Bamboo, Light Bulb, and Music. So if you like to ride and show off your board, then the Magneto penny board may be the one for you.
- With different styles/designs to choose from.
- The deck is made from pure Canadian Maple with a sand grit top.
- Larger than other penny boards at 27.5 x 7.5 inches.
- With top-quality components and enhanced design.
- It is fun and more versatile, thanks to its double-kick tails.
- You can grip the surface better because of its sand-grit finish.
- Measures 27.5 x 7.5 inches
- The wheelbase of 18.5 inches
- Made from Canadian Maple
- Top-quality trucks and bearings
- Magneto wheels are very fast and strong
- Sand-grit top
- Double-kick tails
- Weighs less than 6 pounds
- It is a versatile and fun ride.
- Compact and lightweight penny board
- Available in cool designs
- Made from the very durable and attractive material
- Better grip deck
- Larger board for larger people
- Too heavy for a penny board
- Complaints about the quality of the bearings
Don’t let the crazy decal scare you; this penny board is an authentic board when it comes to its design and style. However, it is larger or longer than most penny boards at 27”.The deck is all plastic, but it’s durable and versatile with a waffle-like top for better grip.
The trucks are the heart of these penny boards, and these are strongly made from very durable aluminum with a powder-coated finish to enhance its toughness and resilience to bumps, scratches, and marks.
The 83A wheels are colorful with a see-through design. These are made from quality urethane with 59 inches diameter. The cushions and the deck bolts are color-coded and are standard quality components. It weighs merely 5 pounds; it’s light, compact, and easy to carry anywhere. You can ride it on the street but still be able to take it as you commute.
- With a 27-inch plastic deck with a wacky decal at the back.
- With durable aluminum trucks enhanced and protected with a powder-coated finish
- Standard wheels but are very durable and comes with a smoother ride.
- With waffle-style surface on the deck for better grip.
- High-tensile bolts.
- With a compact style and weight, so you can carry it anywhere you need to go.
- Deck measures 27”
- Made of strong, quality plastic
- Waffle-pattern surface
- 59mm, wheels 83A
- Cushions 83A color-coded
- Color-coded bolts
- Measures 28 x 10 x 6 inches
- Weighs 5.38 pounds
- Compact and easy to carry
- With an enhanced design
- Larger than most penny boards
- With durable and fast wheels
- With very strong bolts
- Fast and smooth ride
- The surface has a good grip
- With a colorful, crazy Burger Monster design
- Very light
- Not good for performing tricks and stunts
Penny Boards Buying Guide and FAQ
Although penny boards look alike, there are no two boards that have the same specs and features. There’s always something better when you check out another penny board. So before you go out and purchase your first penny board or you’re up to replace an old one, remember the following buying tips:
What to look for when buying penny boards?
Ready to buy your penny board? Remember the following
The type of material
From our list, you’ve seen two materials so far: plastic and Maple wood. There are also other materials like bamboo and other types of wood. Plastic is very light but not as strong as wood. What’s great about plastic boards is that these come in different colors and designs, and almost all have a waffle-design top. This style surface is not just aesthetic but also helps give you a better grip. You’ll be safer when you ride your penny board when you have this kind of board surface.
Next, Maple is very resilient, versatile, and lovely. However, it is very slippery, and thus, manufacturers improve the surface by sanding it. This creates a rough grit surface that has improved contact with your shoe. Maple wood boards like the Magneto Heartbeat is very beautiful and thus more expensive than all the plastic penny boards. The manufacturer also made sure that you appreciate its material and chose not to add color to the board, only sand the top for enhanced grip.
Wheels and bearings
The wheels are standard for all penny boards at 59mm. But you can choose from opaque wheels or see-through urethane wheels. The wheel quality must complement the surface you want to ride on. You need a grippier wheel when you’re on city roads to avoid accidents and to slow you down a bit. But we all know that smaller wheels are faster and this is where bearings work their magic.
You need bearings with at least an ABEC 7 rating to balance the grippier wheels. Your penny board will move faster but will still stay safer, especially in busy city roads.
The truck should be made from very durable material. It has to be strong enough to hold the weight of the rider and must still be versatile enough for turns and corners. Although not as versatile as longboard trucks, penny board trucks are still good for efficient turning.
Weight and size
Standard penny boards are 22” long, but some can go as long as 27” and wider too. And when the board becomes longer and wider, it adds more weight. Larger boards are heavier at 5 to 6 pounds, which may already be hard to carry anywhere, especially when commuting. A good, standard penny board is around 4 to 5 pounds, which is perfect for riding and then transitioning to a bus, subway, train, or other modes of transportation.
What is the difference between a penny board and a skateboard?
Penny board is a type of skateboard. But it’s smaller than the average-sized skateboard. When you compare the two side by side, you’ll see the difference. Penny boards have slightly larger wheels than a skateboard but have a small, compact, and plastic body. Skateboards have smaller wheels but have larger and mostly wooden decks.
The term Penny Boards or Penny Skateboards was used because these were made of a lighter board and are made of cheap plastic. It’s actually a brand for an Australian company that created the board in 2010.
Where can you ride a penny board?
You can ride a penny board anywhere, but due to its smaller wheels, it may not be as flawless to ride on grass and other rugged terrains. If you need a commute on roads urban streets, then a penny board can efficiently take you there.
Do you need special shoes to ride a penny board?
Just like riding a skateboard or longboard, you must wear a shoe with a flat heel. A flat heeled-shoe or sneakers can help you get a better grip on the board. Penny boards have a waffle-design top, which helps improve grip when you ride. Skateboards have a deck with grip tape, a rough, sandpaper-like tape layer that grips your shoe better. This is not present in a penny board.
How much weight can a penny board take?
Standard penny boards with a 3-inch truck made of solid aluminum can give a board a weight capacity of 198 pounds. Super light penny boards that weigh only 3.5 pounds can hold this much weight, and the secret is within the type of plastic that’s used to make the deck and the strength of the board’s trucks.
Can you perform stunts on a penny board?
Because penny boards have a small deck surface to step on and ride on, it’s hard to do any trick. But you can still try. And if you really want to perform tricks, try boards that have larger and wider decks like a longboard or a skateboard.
Can you commute with a penny board?
There are no restrictions on bringing a penny board on a bus, subway, or train so you can ride with it as you commute. This is usually what penny board urban riders do as they move from one place in the city to another. However, it’s a different question when you want to travel with a penny board. You may need to contact your carrier to find out if you can take your penny board as check-in luggage or carry-on baggage.
Is it hard to learn how to ride a penny board?
Some riders who transition from a longboard to a penny board find it hard to ride on a narrow and shortboard, but eventually, they were able to take the hand of it. You can’t be as “movable” as you were in a longboard when you’re riding a penny board, but if you love cruising and moving fast, this might be the best one for you.
Our list of five best penny boards in the market has concluded, and we picked the Skatro Mini Cruiser Skateboard as the best penny board. There are many reasons why this is our choice. First, it has a standard penny board measurement of 22 x 6-inch, and thus it stays true to the penny board dimensions.
It is made of plastic and arrives ready to use out of the box. Another reason for being the best is that it is available in 11 different colors and color combinations. It also comes with quality components like ABEC -7 Skatro bearings, 59mm Skatro urethane wheels, and very strong 3-inch trucks made of very light yet strong aluminum material.
The Skatro Mini Cruiser was manufactured using Skatro Flexy Technology, which is a proprietary process to make their boards flexible and versatile to be used on the road and the skate park. These penny boards can outperform other leading penny board brands but are still very affordable. It is a good first-time skateboard for kids and also a good switch for longboard users.
If you think that the Skatro Mini Cruiser is also the ideal penny board for you, check this penny board out from this link.