If you fall from a skateboard, you’re likely to avoid getting hurt by landing on the ground with your hands. This is a natural response to protect your body, but oftentimes, landing on your hands can be a very bad idea. If you fall forwards on your hands, you might end up with terrible injuries, even broken bone. This is one of the reasons why skateboarders look for the best wrist guards for skateboarding.
Wrist guards will keep you from getting anything in your hands, especially gravel and sand. A good wrist guard will protect the wrists and prevent broken bones. This protective gear comes with a plastic splint located inside the wrist guard, which takes the pressure off the hands and wrists in case you fall. And over the years, better and more efficient wrist guards have been designed to keep wearers safe.
If you’re looking for a new skateboard wrist guard or if this is your first time to use one, here are five top wrist guards to check out.
Reviews of the Best Wrist Guards for Skateboarding
The 187 Killer Pads is one of the most popular wrist pads, hands down. It is designed to provide optimum protection but, at the same time, comfort, and versatility so you won’t feel any pain or pressure as you perform all kinds of routines. There are just so many reasons why the Killer Pads are perfect for skateboard riders, especially for novice skateboarders.
The Killer Pads are made from very strong and durable ballistic nylon that is lightweight as well. It comes with an angled shape to conform to the natural shape of the hand, giving you the best fit. Whether you have small or big hands, you can wear these pads with comfort because of its shape.
It comes with reinforced holes for the thumb and palm to improve durability and longevity.
These wrist guards are double-stitched to enhance its strength. It’s great value for people who ride their skateboards often.
And aside from its many features that improve its durability, these wrist guards are also comfortable. You can wear these all day and for other sports and recreational activities. It’s great for skateboarding, roller skating, longboarding, motorcycle riding, cycling, and many more. It comes with very thick splints that are found along the base of the hand because this is the most vulnerable part of the hand. You can choose from three sizes: extra-small, medium, and junior sizes.
- With an angled design to conform to your hand and give you a good fit.
- It comes with a re-designed palm and thumb hole to improve durability and longevity.
- This wrist guard is double-stitched also to improve durability.
- This is made from very tough ballistic nylon; this is perfect for people who ride regularly
- It is well-padded for improved comfort.
- It comes with enhanced splints, especially on the base of the hands.
- Available in different sizes
- Made from ballistic nylon
- Angled construction
- Reinforced palm and thumb hole
- Extra protection on the base of the hand
- Available in three sizes
- Available in black only
- Weighs less than 8 ounces
- Comfortable design, not too constricting
- Design and shape conforms to the hands
- Longer-lasting even when used daily
- Double-stitched and thus will last for a long time
- Padded on the base of the hands for added safety
- Stylish design, available in three sizes
- Available only in black
- Not enough sizes, the smallest size is too large
The Pro-Tec Street wrist guards are made for pros and novice riders alike. This is designed to be worn on the street or at the skate park. These wrist guards are standard sports protection gear and are known to popular skaters and even cyclists.
These have ergonomic wrist splints that are made to take all the pressure and impact when landing on your hands. Hard slams can severely injure your wrist and hands, but wrist guards like the Pro-Tec can provide a good layer of protection. This is made from very strong ballistic nylon and Lycra, which are also light and comfortable materials. These materials also come with a low profile but will resist wear and tear even when used daily.
These are very flexible wrist pads that are also breathable to enhance comfort. It won’t be too constricting, and in fact, you’ll feel dry and cool even during intense routines. Also, it has multiple straps that are very strong and adjustable using its hook-and-loop wrist pad fasteners. And for the best fit, Pro-Tec wrist guards are available in four different sizes: small, medium, large, and youth sizes. You can use this wrist guard to protect your hands during skateboarding, roller skating, inline skating, biking/cycling, or riding a motorcycle.
- These are competition – quality wrist guards and can be worn in different activities and sports events.
- With an ergonomic design and comes with a full-wrap strap.
- It is made from very durable, high-grade ballistic nylon for improved protection.
- Fits well and is adjustable without restricting your movement.
- Comfortable and breathable to keep you dry and cool
- Available in four different sizes so you can find the right fit.
- It comes with two wrist guards.
- With a generous one-year warranty.
- Ergonomic wrist guard design
- Made from lycra and ballistic nylon
- Hook and loop closure
- Comes with two wrist guards
- Wrist sizes are 6 to 7.5 inches around the wrists
- Four sizes: small, medium, large and youth
- With 1-year warranty
- These are standard sport s protection equipment
- Protects the wrists and hands
- With an ergonomic design
- Made from durable materials
- Low-profile, lightweight wrist guards
- Will resist wear and tear
- Breathable and cool
- With a generous warranty
- Problems with sizing
- No other colors available
The Triple Eight Hired Hands skateboarding wrist guards are designed to work like finger-less gloves. It is made from top-grain, high-quality leather, well-stitched, with integrated guards. These provide maximum protection and great support for the wrist, back, and base of the hands.
The splints on top are made from very strong ABS splints. These may be removed and replaced when these are already worn and broken. The foam layers are also very durable made from EVA foam with shock-absorbing qualities. The entire glove is double-stitched to enhance durability.
The straps are thick neoprene to provide maximum support and with hook and loop closure system. You’ll surely find the right size because these are available in four different sizes for adults, teens, and kids. Please measure the area around your knuckles and hands to get the best fit. If you don’t find the exact size, use a size higher to avoid being too tight.
The Triple Eight wrist guards are not just for skateboarding but also for roller skating, longboarding, cycling, riding a motorcycle, and other similar outdoor sports and activities.
- Made from premium-quality leather for extra durability and comfort.
- It comes with integrated wrist pads to provide the best protection and maximum support.
- Splints are made from impact-resistant and tough ABS.
- You can remove the splints and replace them in case these become worn out.
- It is made from several EVA foam layers with shock-absorbing qualities.
- Gloves are very durable because of double-stitching.
- With thick support straps made from neoprene.
- Adjustable straps with hook-and-loop closures
- With EZ pull loop to make it easier to wear these gloves/guards
- Available in four sizes: small size is for 7 to 8 inches, the medium size is for 8 to 9 inches, the large size is for 9 to 10 inches, and extra-large is for 10 to 11 inches.
- Made from top-quality leather
- Removable and replaceable ABS splints/wrist guards
- EVA absorbing foam
- Neoprene straps
- Hook and loop closure system
- EZ loops
- With four sizes
- Made from the most durable materials
- With a good fit and comfortable design
- ABS splints provide better protection
- Very durable and well-stitched
- Easy to wear with pull-on loops
- You can choose from different sizes
- Versatile wrist guards
- Complaints that it’s too constricting.
- Problems with sizing
- No other colors available
CTHOPER Impact Wrist Guard is a protective gear ideal for skateboarding, roller skating, cycling, snowboarding, and motocross sports. This wrist guard has ABS plastic that’s impact-resistant to provide the best protection for your palms and wrists. You will get a pair of wrist supports when you purchase this wrist guard, one for each hand.
There isn’t much coverage at the back of the hands, and this is to improve breathability and reduce discomfort. Meanwhile, the pads are also breathable and absorb sweat. These will provide protection and reduce the impact on the back and base of the hands and the wrists.
To make sure that the wrist guard fits well, there are two adjustable straps found at the wrist and the palms. These provide proper support as your fingers, and thumbs still have a full range of motion.
There are different wrist guard sizes available: medium size for palms with 2.95 to 3.54 inches and large size for palms with 3.74 to 4.33 inches. You’ll find sizes that will fit adults and kids.
- Made from very durable materials that will resist wear and tear.
- Each wrist pad has very strong, shock-absorbing ABS plastic for wrist and palm protection
- With a “nude” design on the back of the hands to improve breathability and comfort.
- With an inner cushioned pad with sweat absorption qualities – this also provides protection to the back of the hands.
- Available in two sizes medium and large. These sizes fit most adults and kids.
- Wrist guards may be used for other activities as well. This is also ideal for snowboarding, cycling, roller skating, rollerblading, and motocross riding.
- Also, for other sports that may hurt your wrist, hands, or palms.
- ABS plastic shell
- With two wrists supports for each hand
- “Nude” design at the back of the hands
- Flexible and adjustable nylon straps for each wrist guard
- Made from EVA foam
- With package bag
- Sizes are based on palm breadth – Small: 2.7 to 3.14 inches, Medium: 2.95 to 3.54 inches and Large: 3.74 to 4.33 inches
- These are professionally-designed wrist guards
- Can be used for a variety of sports and activities
- Will protect the palm of the hands and the wrist
- Has a breathable and comfortable design
- Made from very durable materials
- Well-padded and very comfortable
- Flexible and adjustable wrist guards
- Available in three sizes
- With a separate bag to keep these clean and easy to carry
- No protection for the fingers
- Sizing complaints: Largest size is still too small
- Complaints that it’s too awkward to wear
The LALATECH handguards are not just for skateboarding but also for skiing, roller skating, rollerblading, cycling, and other activities that can injure your hands, palms, and wrists. Manufacturers call it a “mobile design” because you can still move your hands and wrists, and you can even use your phone with this wrist or handguards. It follows the shape of your hand because it’s flexible and ergonomic, so you’ll get full protection.
This is also breathable because of its design. It has a Lycra mesh layer that will stop sweating so your hands will remain dry, fresh, and feeling more comfortable.
This is adjustable because it comes with a durable Velcro strap for a comfortable fit. It also enhances safety as the palm area is well-cushioned to absorb shocks and impact. This is designed to provide protection to the support points. It offers 360 degrees protection of the split front and the back and the use of the scaphoid bone in case you fall on your hands. This comes in 3 sizes: medium, large, and extra-large.
- It comes with two kinds of impact splints that conform to your hand’s shape. This is flexible and ergonomic.
- It provides full comfort to the wrist and palms.
- This is a breathable wrist guard with Lycra mesh. Keeps the hands dry and comfortable.
- With an adjustable Velcro strap with hands and thumb hole.
- You can still use your fingers and thumbs for different tricks and to use your mobile phone.
- Safe and absorbs impact. With enhanced support points.
- Offers 360 degrees support of the front and back in case of a fall.
- May also be used in other activities and sports, including skating, skateboarding, skiing, cycling, rollerblading, roller skating, and snowboarding.
- Impact splints on each hand.
- Lycra mesh material
- Adjustable Velcro straps
- Offers 360-degree protection
- Side vents
- Available sizes according to palm breadth sizes with Medium with 7.5 to 9 cm width, 18 cm length, Large with 8.5 to 10 cm width and 19.5 cm length and extra-large for 9.5 to 11 cm width and 20 cm length.
- Tough and secure plastic splints
- Easy to wear and comfortable to use
- Made from shock-absorbing material
- Fits shape of your hand prevents bruises
- Front and back protect the palms and back of hand well
- Very comfortable with side vents
- Ideal for different activities and sports
- No protection for the fingers
- Sizing problems and complaints
Best Wrist Guards for Skateboarding Buying Guide and FAQ
As you may have realized by now, there is a wide variety of wrist guard designs. Some have full protection for the hand, wrist, and palms while some have that “naked” feel and design. Some riders may prefer the closed hand-design while some the other; this really goes down to the style and your personal preference. But aside from these, you must also consider some of the most important factors in choosing the right wrist guard pair. Here are some important tips to remember.
What to look for when buying wrist guards for skateboarding?
Consider the following when buying a wrist guard made for skateboarding:
As mentioned, there are two general designs of wrist guards. First is the full protection wrist guard or more appropriately called “handguard.” This will protect the hands, wrist, palms, and fingers, and usually, these would have a fingerless glove look. This provides maximum protection but still allows you to freely use your thumbs and fingers. You can still grip or hold your board, steer yourself from obstacles, and of course, use your mobile device.
Meanwhile, the “naked” design offers little to no protection to the fingers and has padding for the back and the base of the hand and wrist. This may be enough for light activities and provides extreme flexibility and breathability.
The most common materials used in wrist guards are nylon for the body, ABS plastic for the splints, and EVA foam for the supports and cushioning. The straps are nylon with Velcro inserts for easy adjustment. There are some wrist guards with Lycra breathable mesh to reduce sweating and to make your skin fresh and clean.
The wrist guard must also be comfortable to use. It should allow your fingers and thumb to move freely and comfortably because you need to when performing stunts and tricks on your board.
Your hands, especially your palms, will be nice and sweaty after your routines, and thus, a wrist guard should be breathable and comfortable to wear. Breathability and moisture-wicking are achieved by using the right material and the design as well.
Ease of use
Your wrist guard must be easy to wear and remove but not easily taken off mid-use. You’ll love wrist guards with pull up loops, which is usually found in closed wrist guards while some have an open design that will hug your hand and wrist closely when secured.
Some additional features are welcome, like additional padding on the back and the base of the hands where most impacts happen, additional wrist protection, and removable ABS plastic panels. All these enhance the wrist guard’s support, comfort, and style.
Are wrist guards effective?
Yes, wrist guards are effective, but it depends on the design, the material used, and the size. However, these have no support for the arm, elbow, shoulders, and other parts of the body that may still become injured due to a skateboard fall.
Are tight wrist guards better?
Tight wrist guards may restrict blood flow to the hand, and this is very uncomfortable and may distract you as you perform stunts and tricks. Meanwhile, loose wrist guards can be dangerous as these can come off mid-use.
What are the most vulnerable parts of the hands during a fall?
As we naturally hold out our hands to protect us as we fall, the base of the hand is the most vulnerable as we usually fall with open hands. This is why you should learn how to properly fall to avoid severe injuries and to always wear protective equipment.
Of the five wrist guards on our list, we recommend the 187 Killer Pads and consider it as the best wrist guard for skateboarding. We have several reasons for our choice. First, it is made from very strong and durable ballistic nylon, which is also lightweight. Next, it has an angled shape to conform to the natural shape of the hand for the most comfortable and natural fit. Also, this has reinforced holes for the thumb and palm to enhance durability and longevity. These are double-stitched for strength, and thus it’s perfect for those who ride their skateboards often.
The 187 Killer Pads wrist guards are also comfortable, and thus, you can wear these all day and for other sports and recreational activities. We love it as it can be used not just for skateboarding but also for roller skating, longboarding, motorcycle riding, cycling, and other similar activities. You can also choose from three sizes: extra-small, medium, and junior.
We recommend the 187 Killer Pads for all activities that can possibly injure the hands and wrists. And if you think that the 187 Killer Pads is the best wrist guard for skateboarding as well, check this out from this link.