Roller skating is a great hobby and a fantastic outdoor activity. Skating helps you stay active, lose weight and improve your overall health using cardio. To be able to skate properly and safely, you need the best roller skates. And if you’re still learning the ropes, let us help you find the best pair through our review of the five top roller skates of 2021. Read on and see what’s on our list.
The 5 best roller skates of the year
Not all roller skates are made the same. Some skates are great for indoor fun while some are created for outdoor use where you can go fast. We know you’ll find the best one for your needs from our top 5 list.
Star Rating: 4.8 out of 5
Best Suede Quad Roller Skates from Crazy Skates
- These are handcrafted from fine suede leather for a luxurious look.
- These skates have ABEC-7 bearings to give you a smooth indoor and outdoor ride.
- Your purchase includes an exclusive leatherette case to protect your skates no matter where you go.
- Dimensions: 17.7 x 15.6 x 5.9 inches, 13.25 pounds
- Roller Skates Sizes: US ladies sizes 1 to 14, comes with a handy size chart
- Material: suede leather
- Special Features: inner lining, glitter laces, neoprene-lined tongue, adjustable toe stop, PU wheels, 20-degree galaxy plate
- Accessories: with a leatherette retro-style case
The Crazy Skates Evoke are stunning roller skates made from luxurious and high-quality suede materials. These skates are available in different colors; you can select the colors that inspire you most. These are handcrafted so expect great quality inside and out.
These roller skates are smooth-rolling thanks to Wheel Candy wheels and very strong ABEC 7 bearings. Because of these strong and durable parts, you can use your skates indoors or outdoors, on a skating derby rink, or through tough pavements and sidewalks.
These skates come with soft liners that protect your ankles and your toes. It has a neoprene-lined tongue which can remove moisture and keeps your feet dry and very comfortable even after long hours of use.
These are designed with good quality plates, adjustable stops plus, and a support cuff. You also get a luxurious carrying case with a cool retro design to protect your roller skates no matter where you want to skate.
- These skates come in different colors and sizes.
- These have very durable supports and plates.
- These skates have support cuffs and soft toe stops.
- Protect your skates with a retro-style case.
- Some complaints in sizing
- Complaints that the wheels were not tight when they got the skates.
- Complaints that these are very heavy especially for beginners.
Star Rating: 4.3 out of 5
Best Women’s Indoor or Outdoor Adjustable Roller Skates from Magnitt
- These roller skates are made from durable leather.
- These are adjustable and may be used indoors or outdoors.
- These are safe for beginners compared to using inline skates.
- Dimensions: 6.26 pounds
- Roller Skates Sizes: Available for feet sizes 24 to 29 cm in UK, US, and Chinese sizes, see size chart
- Material: PU material
- Special Features: adjustable laces, classic design, very durable wheels
- Accessories: shoe bag/carrying case
The Magnitt Women’s Roller Skates are traditional four-wheel skates that are designed to provide the best results outdoors. You may also use these indoors after simple adjustments. These skates are made from very comfortable materials so your feet are safe and dry. You’ll get a free shoe bag so you can easily carry these no matter where you want to go.
These roller skates are adjustable so you can wear these comfortably with the best fit. These are safer compared to inline skates because they will keep your balance and help you slow down safely.
Your skates will have sturdy wheels from high-quality molded materials for the best performance. You’ll get the right size from the many sizes available. And if you wish, you can get one with illuminating wheels.
- These are comfortable to use.
- These will remove moisture, heat, and odor.
- These are versatile, can be used indoors or outdoors.
- You can find these in different sizes (US, UK, and Chinese sizes). Use a size chart from the manufacturer.
- These quad skates are easier to balance.
- You can select from flashing or non-flashing wheels
- Complaints about sizing.
- Complaints that not all the wheels light up
Star Rating: 2.1 out of 5 stars
Best White Classic Roller Skates from Chicago
- These roller skates come with a classic design, high-top profile, and traditional rink pattern.
- With an adjustable chassis and truck to customize the roller skates’ performance.
- These skates are great for indoor and outdoor use.
- Dimensions: 15.75 x 12.13 x 4.88 inches, 7.32 pounds
- Roller Skate Sizes: youth sizes 1 to 5 and ladies sizes 6 to 11
- Material: aluminum base, vinyl boots, urethane wheels
- Special Features: classic design, double adjustable toe stops and jump bars, 608Z semi-precision bearings.
- Accessories: none
These skates have a classic design with a high-cut style that supports your ankles and feet. These come with an efficient lacing system with eyelets plus speed hooks to keep your laces adjusted and fit.
The Chicago Skates are double adjustable with an aluminum base plate and truck and chassis that you can adjust according to your needs. This is for indoor and outdoor use and is made of vinyl material which makes it very durable, water-resistant, and sleek.
These classic-style roller skates are best for beginner skaters as they can keep your balance better. The wheels are made from urethane with spoke cores and precision speed bearings for enhanced traction and full control.
- These skates are fully adjustable.
- These come with a classic style and design.
- You can use these indoors or outdoors.
- These are made from very durable materials.
- Beginners will find these roller skates easier to use.
- These skates are available in limited sizes.
- Problems with sizing and fastening/closure.
- Does not come with any accessories.
Star Rating: 4.7 out of 5
Best Quad Skate for Big Kids and Adults with Holographic Design from Impala Rollerskates
- These roller skates come with metal speed lacing eyelets.
- Uppers, heels, and solely made from very durable PVC.
- With very durable and safe ABEC 7 bearings to slow down and stop with care.
- Dimensions: 6 x 15 x 18 inches
- Roller Skates Sizes: Men’s US 4 and Women’s US 6
- Material: PU wheels, Polyvinyl Chloride sole
- Special Features: metal speed eyelets, aluminum baseplate and trucks, ABEC 7 bearings, PU stopper
- Accessories: none
The Impala Rollerskates is for girls and boys and has a lovely holographic design. These roller skates come with metal speed lace eyelets so it’s easy to wear and remove. The uppers are made from PVC as well as the heel and sole so these are very durable and will never lose form.
The trucks and baseplate are made from very strong aluminum alloy. It comes with ABEC 7 bearings for safe and efficient movements and stopping. The brakes are made from PU material so you’ll always stay safe when slowing down or stopping.
- With a stylish holographic design.
- Made from very durable materials.
- It comes with sturdy and reliable trucks and baseplate.
- These come with safe and reliable ABEC 7 bearings and a brake stopper.
- Problems with sizing.
- Does not come with free elbow and knee pads.
- Does not come with a free carrying case.
Star Rating: 4.7 out of 5
Best White Roller Skates from Rollerface
- These roller skates come with well-padded interiors.
- You’ll stay dry and comfortable thanks to the inner towel mesh.
- These come with aluminum alloy trucks and baseplates for added durability and form.
- Dimensions: 5.12 x 16.54 x 13.39 inches, 7.72 pounds
- Roller Skates Sizes: US Women sizes 2 to 13
- Material: vegan leather, PU stoppers, galvanized aluminum alloy baseplates, carbon steel bearings
- Special Features: padded interiors, made of vegan leather, aluminum parts, PU stopper, ABEC 7 bearings.
- Accessories: none
The Rollerface roller skates are available in limited sizes. It is a gorgeous pair of classic roller skates made from vegan leather and aluminum alloy baseplate and trucks. These skates are well padded and thus, won’t be a pain even when you use these regularly.
The Rollerface skates come with very strong, good-quality PU wheels fitted with ABEC 7 carbon steel bearings. You’ll always be safe and secure even when you’re riding down an incline or moving over cracks and uneven surfaces.
These roller skates come with a lace-up closure and because of this, these will remain on your feet and will never slip off.
- These roller skates are made from very strong and durable materials.
- These are easy to use, slow down and stop because of their PU stopper.
- Your feet will be comfortable thanks to its well-padded interior area.
- The trucks and baseplate are made from reliable aluminum alloy.
- Problems with sizing.
- Complaints about fitting.
- Complaints that the boot material is too tough/hard.
- Does not come in other colors and has limited sizes.
Are you buying a roller skate for the first time or shopping for a new pair to replace your old one? Let us help you decide on the best roller skates in this special buying guide.
Basics of shopping for roller skates
Whether you want to skate indoors or outdoors, your roller skates must be made from tough and durable materials. These allow your skates to perform best especially on the road or sidewalk. The best skates should move overall indoor surfaces and outdoor areas like asphalt, concrete, and even over cracks and crevices.
The boot must be made from very durable materials that will retain their form even with constant use. The bearings should be reliable to produce smooth and safe movements on any surface. Check the toes stop; these must allow you to slow down or stop safely
Different types of roller skates
There are two types of roller skates for outdoor use: quad skates or traditional roller skates and inline roller skates. These two types are very popular both for indoor and outdoor use.
Quad skates are known as traditional roller skates with four wheels; two wheels at the front and two at the back. These skates are mostly used indoors in roller rinks and roller derbies. By replacing the wheels and bearings, you can use quad skates outdoors.
Meanwhile, inline skates look very different from quad skates in such a way that the 4 wheels are arranged in a straight line. These skates may be used indoors or outdoors and are faster than quad skates.
The type of roller skates varies depending on your level of experience. If you’re new to roller skating, quad skates are best as these will let you balance even when you’re not moving. It’s also easier to slow down and stop with quad skates.
Those who have experience riding quad skates may upgrade to inline skates. Young children may start with quad skates as they don’t have strong legs yet. But those who are able to handle quad skates may use a hybrid quad and inline skates called three-wheel roller skates. In a three-wheel, two wheels are at the back and one or two wheels are placed in line at the front.
About skate wheels
The type, size, and thickness of the roller skate wheel affect how a roller skate is used. Two important terms/values must be considered: durometer and diameter.
Durometer is the term for the hardness of the wheel and durometer values are from 74A to 106A. Take note that the lower the durometer, the softer the wheel. 74A to 75A wheels are softer and will create more friction and traction on the road. Softer wheels will make you slower and thus, you will work harder to do move.
Higher durometer values such as 106A durometer mean that the wheels are very hard and thus, you will have little friction and traction. You will also move faster with harder wheels as there is less friction and effort.
The diameter is the height of the wheel which is 68 to 110 mm for inline skates. Quad skates are from 58 to 654 mm. To find the best durometer and diameter, test different values to see which one works for your type of roller skating activity.
The durometer is the second number found on a skate wheel. Durometer and diameters are measured in mm and wheels with 76 mm/78A mean that the diameter is 76 mm while the durometer is 78A.
Meanwhile, bearings make every ride smooth, fast, and efficient. The best type is ceramic bearings because these are durable, will last longer and lasting and will work best for dirty, muddy, and cracked roads.
Consider the right roller skate material
The boot is mostly made from materials like PU leather, suede, and more. PU leather is more preferred because this material is more durable, easier to clean, and will last a long time.
All about roller skate closure and lining
You must choose a skate closure that’s secure and easy to use. Roller skate closure systems are usually buckles and laces but some skates come with both. Some skaters prefer traditional lace closures while others choose buckles instead.
How to find the right roller skate sizes
Roller skates are available in various sizes with UK, US, and Chinese selections. There are also sizes specifically for young skaters and also for women and men. Be sure to check the feet’ size or refer to a size chart from the manufacturer. If you find that your size is not available, order roller skates a size larger, not a size lower. Never order roller skates that are two sizes larger.
Different designs and styles
Roller skates are available in different designs and styles. Some come with flashing or illuminating wheels while some have plain ones. Roller skates for young children come with cartoon characters and trendy designs.
Meanwhile, some skates come as a set. Aside from the roller skates, the set has knee and elbow pads and a carrying case. Having a set gives you more value for your purchase but make sure that you’re buying skates and accessories that fit you well.
Here are the most frequently asked questions and their corresponding answers about shopping and using roller skates.
Are hard roller skate wheels better than soft ones?
Hard roller skate wheels have minimal friction between the wheels and the surface and thus, you will move faster. Meanwhile, soft wheels are slower as there is increased friction between the wheel surface and the floor, pavement, or sidewalk. Hard roller skate wheels are better for people who want to ride fast while soft roller skate wheels are for people who want to move slower and safer.
Should you size up when buying a roller skate or do you size down?
If you can’t find the right size roller skate, you must size up and never size down. You may simply use thicker socks or stockings to compensate for the larger size. Don’t get skates that are two sizes larger as these will only slip off your feet. Meanwhile, roller skates that are a size lower may be too tight and may only injure your feet.
What are the best roller skates for beginners?
The best kind of roller skates for beginners are quad skates. This type of roller skate will help you balance better especially when you’re on a full stop. Quad skates are also easier to learn as it’s safer and riders will less likely fall.
What are easier to ride in, rollerblades or traditional roller skates?
Traditional skates or quad skates are easier to ride in as the four wheels help you balance. And as you become an expert in riding quad skates, you can transition from this type to inline skates.
What are the kinds of inline roller skates?
Inline roller skates are available in different types, each one with a different purpose. There are fitness inline skates used in aerobics and fitness exercises, urban inline skates for riding on city roads and sidewalks, race inline skates, and recreational inline skates.
What are triskates?
Triskates have shorter frames and only three wheels. These are easier to maneuver because the center wheel is easy to control and turn. You can use slower bearings and wheels on a triskate if you’re still a beginner.
Is there a weight limit for roller skates and rollerblades?
There is no weight limit for roller skates but check if this is specified by the manufacturer.
From our list of the top roller skates this 2021, we recommend only two: the Crazy Skates Evoke and the Magnitt Women’s Roller Skates. We chose these two skates because of their excellent quality, durability, versatility, and great style.
The Crazy Skates Evoke is made from suede materials and is available in different colors. These skates offer a smooth ride all because of their impressive components: Wheel Candy wheels and very durable ABEC 7 bearings. The Evoke has a soft liner and moisture-wicking neoprene. Finally, the cool retro style makes it the choice among most riders.
The Magnitt Women’s Roller Skates are four-wheel skates that work best outdoors but you may also use this to ride indoors after simple adjustments. You’ll find this comfortable with a dry inner liner. Your purchase comes with a free bag so you can take these skates anywhere.
The Magnitt Women’s Roller Skates are adjustable and are safer compared to inline skates because these will keep your balance. These two roller skates come with durable wheels made from high-quality materials for the best performance. Also, these two best roller skates are available in many sizes, and thus, choosing the best fit is easy.