In skateboarding, learning the art of staying on top of the board doing tricks is important but falling on the ground correctly is just as important. It is risky to ride a skateboard without the proper knowledge about falling because it can cause severe injury. In this article, we’ll give you tips on how to protect yourself when you fall from the skateboard.
Proper technique of falling will protect you from harm and it can even cause a painless fall making you active in trying different tricks without the fear of falling. This is unavoidable, even the greatest skateboarder falls and stands up gracefully as nothing happened.
Ways of Falling in a Skateboard
Falling in skateboarding can’t be avoided that is why you need to have safety measures to at least protect your body, especially the head. There are ways of falling and how to land properly to lessen injury.
- Falling forward: tuck or bow your head, stick out your arms to catch yourself and roll over your shoulder. It is advisable to roll over instead of landing on your arms, elbows or wrists to avoid injury.
- Falling backward: tuck or bow your head, raise your legs and fall in your back and shoulders, you may cushion with your hands on the ground.
- Falling sideways: fall on one arm and roll towards your back to protect your head. In this way, the force is equally distributed at the back of your body.
RECOMMENDED VIDEO FOR YOU……….
Falling with less or without Injuries
Know the Bailing Technique
This is a technique where you perform a trick with some parts of your body, especially when you suspect that you will fall and hit the ground. Learning this technique will be helpful to avoid severe injuries caused by the impact of falling.
Roll out of the impact
It is a good technique to roll so that you would land in with your shoulder back, in this way the force is dissipated in the large areas of your body. There is less injury when you roll instead of landing in with just your elbows or wrists. This technique needs the practice to lessen the possibilities of breaking your bones.
Wear protective gears
Gear such as helmet, knee and arm pad will make you safe while skateboarding. You can avoid harmful impact when you fall when you landed on your knees and elbows, especially if you are a beginner.
Check your skateboard
There is a possibility that you will fall if your skateboard is not conditioned. Check the bolts, nuts, and screws, make sure that they are not loose. Also, make sure that the wheels are fully functioning.
Things to Consider in Riding
- Ride in a Safe Environment. It is advisable to choose a place that as much as possible has flat surfaces and clear of rocks and debris. There are improvised skating areas such as car parks, driveways, or empty pool. Before skating, be familiarize with the place.
- Always be attentive. When riding, your full attention should be focused on your surroundings. Your sense of sight and hearing should be well coordinated to be alert with what’s going to happen next. This is one of the important factors to consider if you don’t want to be distracted and fall.
- Improve your Balance and Strength. Consistent practice of your routine will help you improve your balance and strength. Skateboarding is all about balancing, if you have a weak bodily muscle then there is a higher chance that you will have a poor balance that will increase the likelihood of falling. Aside from practicing, there are also different exercises to help you improve balance and strength.
- Don’t skate beyond your ability. Mastering the art of skateboarding is a process, you need to start with the basics first. Without mastering the basics, you cannot go further and try more challenging tricks. If you don’t feel like doing it, don’t do it. You need to step out of your comfort zone if you are fully prepared.
- Invest in a good skateboard. A good skateboard doesn’t have to be expensive as long as it is durable. The recommended board is made from maple and solid aluminum trucks with urethane wheels.
- What to wear. Your shoes are the most important piece in your outfit. It is good to use athletic shoes that are not slippery to lessen the possibility of falling. Regarding your clothes, there is no dress code that is why wear what makes you comfortable.
How to Overcome Fear of Falling
Fall a Few Times
Falling helps you build your confidence in skateboarding. It makes you a little bit better because your body senses what not to do. It is a good idea to practice how to fall and land on different parts of your body to get used to the feeling and so that you would learn the proper way.
Take Your Time
Don’t force yourself to learn new tricks immediately, learning the art of skateboarding is a process. Your fear will not fade away if you would push yourself too hard. You need to breathe, relax and learn your own pace through practicing.
If you will be scared the whole time then you are just wasting time. You need to instill in yourself that eventually the confidence will be gained. You need to see through your progress that why you must be passionate about doing it.
Learn the proper technique
If you have learned the proper technique of falling, your fear will be lessened because you know that you will not get hurt much and that you will not be injured. Practicing how to fall properly is the way to get used to it.
Falling from a skateboard doesn’t mean that you are not good, it is a part of learning. You will not be a good skateboarder if you have not tried falling. However, you must keep in mind to always protect yourself by learning the proper technique of falling down.