Whether you are out to enjoy an outdoor skating or simply doing your sport in a roller derby, it is always important to wear the right gear to make sure that you provide yourself enough protection. Normally, when we are caught by accident and see ourselves falling, we tend to cover our faces with our hand to prepare yourself for the impact.
This action can often lead to sprained, broken, or scraped wrist if you do not use the appropriate protective gear. You can protect your wrist by using the right wrist guard. But how do you choose the best wrist guard for you?
Tips in Choosing the Right Wrist Guard
You want to ensure that you get the right wrist protective gear, however, with the numerous selections available, choosing the best one can be daunting. If you casually do skating for fun and seldom fall, you may not have to use as much protection as those who frequently fall, such as the derby skater.
Here are some things to consider when choosing the right wrist guard:
Choose a material that suits your application
- Bamboo Charcoal – The use of bamboo charcoal in wrist guards offers flexibility and plasticity while giving average support and squeeze. It also helps in controlling temperature, which helps improve the quality of workouts.
- Neoprene – Wrist guards that are made from neoprene are durable and feel lightweight. Neoprene remains breathable while doing workouts, inhibits the accumulation of moisture, and endure stretching.
- Nylon Mesh – Nylon mesh is lightweight and breathable. It is best used to reduce the accumulation of sweat and keeps the wrist cool.
- Silicone Gel – Silicone gel is best for gentle aches. Its actual advantage is the slender and lightweight impression, which enfolds the thumb and wrist, making it manageable to wear while writing, typing, and other related activities. Also, this material is waterproof and latex-free.
Know the type of wrist guard
- Compression – This type of wrist guard is made to provide gentle and intended compression, which makes it manageable to use anywhere. They easily glide on and off and may enhance the flow of blood, expediting restoration, and reducing pain. It is a good selection for athletes and those who regularly execute repetitive wrist activities.
- Wrap – Wrap-type wrist guards utilize the Velcro straps. These make the wrist guards easy to wear and detach and open completely. This type of wrist guard is a perfect selection for inflated wrists and streamlines the process of sizing. It can provide anywhere from gentle to maximum support.
- Wrap and Sleeve – With flexible straps on the lower hand and wrist, flexible compression is made simple. This type of wrist guard has detachable metal splints, which can improve support when worn.
Determine the appropriate size
You have to be certain about the size of your wrist guard. You must first check the size to confirm whether it will suit you best. Some wrist guards come in one size but with flexible straps, making them the best fit for an array of sizes. These wrist guards will make a good choice for people who are suffering from inflammation and swelling, allowing you to alter according to your preferences.
Other wrist guards come in a single size. This is because of its flexible and plasticity design. Others are offered in numerous sizes ranging from small, medium, large, and extra-large to guarantee a comfortable fit.
Determine the required level of support
Wrist guards offer a different range of support. It is important that you also know your requirement when it comes to the support you get from your wrist guard.
- Mild – Mild support wrist guards are best for minor injuries. It can also work well for people who suffer from injuries but are still in the process of recovery.
- Moderate – Some wrist guards provide moderate support, incorporating plastic semi-rigid or metal splints that can be detached to alter the support level. Because of this fact, they are seen to be flexible enough to manage certain conditions such as carpal tunnel, tendonitis, and sprains.
- Maximum – Maximum wrist guards are mostly recommended to people with serious injuries such as fractures. They provide stiff and semi-stiff support components to contribute additional support and restrict the joint movement.
Investing in a good wrist guard is important, especially if you are engaging in activities that are quite risky. In addition to your keen interest and sense of adventure, you also have to ensure that you provide yourself the necessary protection before you get into the slopes.
Choosing the right wrist guard will help you prevent the emanation of a fatal and painful injury that may consume an extensive period to cure. With the wide selection of wrist guards in the market nowadays, you have to make sure that you get the most suitable gear.